Physical activity is essential for maintaining a good level of health and wellbeing, especially if you are spending lots of hours and efforts in caring for a person. It helps to relax the body, to gain some time for yourself and to alleviate stress. In the long-term, it helps to reduce also the risk of chronic diseases related to heart, stroke, hypertension, diabetes and so on.
This does not mean you have to go to gym or attend specific fitness sessions: we know how difficult it is to reconcile your life with other, personal activities. The most important thing is to be active regularly and avoid some behaviours that have negative consequences for your health.
Some tips for maintaining and improving your physical health:
- Make it social: physical activity is better if done in a group. Go running with friends or join a fitness class. It is a good opportunity to meet people and make new friends
- Develop a routine: being active should not be boring, but it is important to know you have specific dedicated moments in your week. This helps you both in organising your life and caring activities.
- Limit time dedicated to passive activities: watching TV or surfing the web are nice activities, but be careful that they do not become the main activity in your free time. Your body needs movement!
- Use “alternative” transports: we all know how much cars are important and convenient cars are nowadays for doing everything. But whenever possible, you can also use public transport and bikes. And of course, walking
- Increase your physical activity gradually: do not think that you can do in a single day what you usually do in two or more. Please remember that you have to respect your physical limits and not to over burn your body. If you want to do more activity, set an objective and make a plan: you can reach it gradually in a reasonable time period.
In all cases, please remember to consult your general practitioner or a health professional if you are not sure about the type and amount of physical activity that best suits your current situation.
In general, do not forget to have regular check-ups and keep under control any sign coming from your body that might be related to stress or health problems. It is important not to avoid doctors visits and health checks because your health is extremely important and nobody can substitute you in taking care of it.